Retirement benefits Anyone over retirement age must check if they are eligible


The Joseph Rowntree Foundation estimates that up to 1.9 million people who have reached state retirement age live in poverty because many do not claim the benefits to which they are entitled.

The Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) will provide people of retirement age with regular taxable income for the rest of their lives.

It is not means tested, but the amount you receive depends on the number of qualifying years of contributions or national insurance credits you have accumulated. You can view your pension forecast online at GOV.UK here and your state pension eligibility age here.

The Money Advice Service has compiled a comprehensive list of all the benefits you could potentially claim and how to know if you are eligible.

The easiest way to check eligibility is to use an online benefits calculator. If you have an older family member or friend who doesn’t have internet access or is not used to using a computer, give them a hand to make sure they don’t miss a thing. additional financial support.

Benefits available at retirement

  • State pension
  • Pension credit
  • Housing tax assistance
  • Help with heating costs
  • Health benefits
  • Travel and television benefits
  • Benefits for war widows and widowers

Pension credit

The pension credit is intended for low-income people and is designed to supplement the income of a retiree up to a guaranteed minimum level.

The Money Advice Service adds, “A lot of people who qualify for pension credit don’t claim it, so make sure you know if you’re eligible and don’t miss out if you are.

Housing tax assistance

Whether you are an owner or a tenant, you could benefit from assistance from your municipality to help you pay your housing tax. Contact your town hall to inquire about housing tax assistance.

Winter fuel payments

This is a tax-free payment intended to help people born on or before January 5, 1954, stay warm during the winter. The amount you receive depends on your age and who lives in your house with you. If you received payment in previous years, you should receive it again without having to make a claim.

You should also receive it automatically if you meet the age and residency criteria and receive one of the many UK Government benefits including:

  • State pension
  • Pension credit
  • Job search allowance
  • Employment and Support Allowance (ASE)

If you qualify, you will receive a letter in October confirming how much you can expect to receive. The letter will also explain how you can update any incorrect information, such as your bank details – this should be verified immediately as it can delay payments.

About three weeks after receiving the letter, the Money Advice Service reports that for the most part, it will be in November or December, you will receive the winter fuel payment to the bank account of your choice. The payment reference on your bank statement will be “DWP Winter Fuel”.

Learn more about paying for winter fuel on the GOV.UK website here.

Cold weather payment

These £ 25 payments are made when your local temperature is on record or is expected to average zero degrees Celsius or lower over seven consecutive days between November 1 and March 31 of each year.

If you qualify for one of the many other income related benefits, including the pension credit, you will automatically be eligible for cold weather payments.

To learn more, visit the GOV.UK website here.

Discount program for warm homes

Some low-income people on means-tested allowances can get a deduction from their winter electricity bill through the Warm Homes Discount program – for tax year 2021-2022 the reduction is worth £ 140 .

There are two ways to be eligible:

  • If you have the guarantee credit element of the pension credit and your provider is part of the plan, you will normally get this deduction automatically on your bill.
  • If you have a low income, receive certain means-tested benefits, and your provider is part of the plan, you can also claim this deduction.

People using prepaid or prepaid meters may also qualify for the discount, but you will need to discuss with your provider how to get it.

Find out more about the Warm Home Discount, if you qualify and the energy suppliers involved on GOV.UK here.

Insulation and heating

There are a number of programs that install insulation and heating upgrades to make your home more energy efficient.

You are likely to qualify if your home is poorly insulated or does not have a working central heating system, and if you are receiving any of the income-related benefits, including the pension credit.

To find out more about Home Energy Scotland, click here or by calling 0808 808 2282.

Health benefits

Everyone in Scotland is entitled to free prescriptions. over the age of 60 get free prescriptions.

Disability and care benefits

A number of benefits are available to people with disabilities or with special care needs.

These benefits include:

  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP) – if you are not of retirement age, if you have reached retirement age while applying for the PIP, this will continue
  • Disability living allowance (DLA) – you must have already made this request before reaching the retirement age of the State
  • A Care allowance – if you are over retirement age and have not requested a DLA or PIP

We have dedicated sections on the Daily Record site for each of these benefits:

Travel and television benefits

Bus cards

Scots are entitled to a free bus pass when they reach the age of 60.

Travel concessions

If you are over 60 or have a disability, find out about travel discounts on the Money Advice Service here.

Free passport

If you were born on or before September 2, 1929 and are a UK national, you may be eligible for a free passport. Learn more and how to apply on the GOV.UK website here.

Free TV license

You must now pay for your TV license, unless you get a pension credit.

People over the state retirement age can get the television license for half the price if they are registered as severely visually impaired or blind.

Check out the TV Money Advice Service license guide here to see if you are eligible.

Benefits for war widows and widowers

If your husband, wife or civilian partner died, was injured or fell ill as a result of service in Her Majesty’s Armed Forces (HM) or in time of war before April 6, 2005, you may be eligible to a war widow’s pension. or widower’s pension.

If they died or suffered injury or illness as a result of their service in a conflict after April 6, 2005, you may be entitled to compensation through the Armed Forces Compensation Plan.

For more information on pensions and compensation for war widows and widowers, visit the GOV.UK website here.

Did you know that there are a number of ways to stay up to date with the latest news regarding Daily Record savings and benefits?

You can join the conversation on our Money Saving Scotland Facebook group for money saving tips, benefit news, consumer help and advice, and the latest shopping deals.

Sign up for our weekly Record Money newsletter to get our best stories delivered straight to your inbox. You can register either by entering your email address in the registration box above on this page, or by clicking here.

You can also follow our Twitter account @Recordmoney_ for regular updates here.

Medical expenses for war pensioners

If you need medical treatment because you were disabled while serving in the armed forces, you may be able to get help to cover your medical costs for your accepted disability.

War invalidity pension

If you were injured or disabled while serving in the Armed Forces before April 6, 2005, you can get additional support for your pension. Learn more about the War Disability Pension on the GOV.UK website here.

Age Scotland also has a full list of benefits, discounts and support seniors are eligible for, find out more on their website here.

Get the latest news on savings and benefits straight to your inbox. Sign up for our weekly Money newsletterhere.

Source link


Leave A Reply